Aurora Environmental’s experienced mining services team provides a full range of environmental services to the mining industry through all stages of a project’s lifecycle: from exploration to compliance and closure.
Getting the right advice about environmental issues is critical to achieving outcomes that community and statutory decision makers expect. Aurora Environmental assists businesses in meeting their Environmental Social Governance (ESG) objectives with our team of experienced environmental scientists and geo-scientists, and a risk based approach.
In our experience, an efficient environmental approvals process is reliant upon a thorough understanding of the environmental and heritage issues relevant to the project, a clear and well-developed project description, and a competent project team.
- Coordinating and undertaking baseline studies (e.g. flora, fauna, water monitoring, etc.)
- Undertaking project scoping, procure specialist consultants and oversee delivery of technical studies
- Project optimisation
- Preparing State and Federal environmental referrals and supporting documentation
- Preparing POW applications, mining proposals and mine closure plans
- Works approvals and licence assessments
- Environmental impact assessments and EPA/EPBC referrals
- Environmental radiation and contamination baseline surveys
- Radiation and contamination monitoring and sampling programs
- Radiation management plans
- Human impact assessments
- Preparation of vegetation clearing applications
- Groundwater abstraction licence applications
- Preparation of environmental management plans
- Development of offset strategies
- Data and information management including GIS
- Environmental monitoring
- Assisting with mine closure and rehabilitation
- Conducting contamination assessments of historical or current mine sites
- Provision of occupational hygiene and asbestos services such as airborne contaminant and noise assessments and asbestos risk management
- Developing Environmental Management Systems (EMS) and compliance management
- Undertaking compliance audits, to evaluate Ministerial Statement conditions, Mining Tenement conditions, mine closure and EMS requirements
- Preparing Annual Environmental Reports.
Stone Resources Australia
Aurora Environmental managed a team of professionals assisting Stone Resources with its mining proposal and mine closure plan for the Ben Hur Gold Mine, located 40 km north of Laverton in the Goldfields Region, along with management of its compliance obligations for its other mine sites. This work included input to mine planning and mine closure.
Our involvement, in collaboration with the University of Western Australia, with BC Iron has been through several hydrogeological studies at their Nullagine operations, including the preparation of groundwater licence compliance reports and a hydrological and hydrogeological modelling study for the Bonnie East deposit
Santa Barbara Mines
Aurora is providing ongoing advice to Santa Barbara Mines on a range regulatory and approval matters at its Gwalia mine site. This included air dispersion modelling and monitoring, mine closure, contamination assessment and remediation of impacted areas as well as advice relating to waste management.
Aurora Environmental was the lead consultant for the State and Federal environmental approvals for the expansion of its Dardanup and Yoongarillup Mines in the Busselton region. Both projects extract mineral sands for subsequent dry separation processing into ilmenite, rutile and leucoxene.
Urban Resources / Eclipse Resources
Aurora Environmental was the lead consultant for the preparation of an EPA referral, mining proposal and mine closure plan for a sand mine located within a Priority 1 drinking water source protection area. The work included impact assessment, mine planning advice along with liaison and negotiation with regulators.
Sandy Ridge Kaolin Mine / Complementary Intractable Waste Storage Facility
Aurora Environmental was the lead consultant for the State and Federal environmental approvals for the Sandy Ridge Project, a joint kaolin mine and Class IV/V hazardous and intractable waste disposal facility in the Goldfields region of Western Australia.