Environmental Management, Perth Stadium, Burswood Peninsula
The recently completed Perth Stadium was constructed on behalf of the West Australian State Government, on the Burswood Peninsula by the Westadium Consortium. The construction of the Stadium and redevelopment of its immediate surrounds has a project value of $1.4B, and has significant engineering and environmental constraints due previous use of the site as a landfill, and proximity to the Swan River.
Aurora was initially engaged during the Expression of Interest (EOI) phase to review environmental investigation documents, and provide technical and strategic advice to assist the Westadium design and bid team. Aurora subsequently supported Multiplex’s team during the Construction Phases of the Perth Stadium and Sports Precinct, managing aspects of the Project to ensure contractual compliance including:
- Undertaking soil, sediment and waste characterisation testing.
- Assessment of reuse/disposal options for surplus soils.
- Implementing major monitoring programs for surface water, groundwater and ground gas.
- Data management and review, and monthly reporting of environmental data.
- Assisting with liaison between Westadium, State representatives, regulators and Contaminated Sites Auditor.
- Preparation of closeout documentation to support reclassification of the Site.
- Preparation of a Subsurface Site Management Plan (to be implemented during the Operational Phase).
The construction program and onsite logistics required a flexible and responsive approach. Technical challenges included assessing and managing excess materials, and interpretation of large monitoring data sets to ensure compliance with regulatory and Auditor expectations, and maintaining Multiplex’s contractual interests.
A rigorous budget was managed by assigning carefully evaluated priorities and resources accordingly.
A highly complex approvals process involved meeting statutory requirements, achieving independent Auditor signoff as well as satisfying the review and requirements of the State Government’s Environmental representative.
For further information on this project please contact:
Name: Pamela Lee
Phone: (08) 9227 2600