Kingsford Smith Business Park, Port Hedland
Project: Kingsford Smith Business Park, Port Hedland
Client: BHP Billiton
Service: Lead Environmental Consultant
Aurora Environmental was a part of the multi-discipline project team tasked with the design and delivery of the Kingsford-Smith Business Park subdivision adjacent to the Port Hedland International Airport. The development provides opportunities for bulky goods storage and retail, light industry and transient workers accommodation on an 80ha greenfields site.
Aurora Environmental was appointed by BHP Billiton to the project team as the lead environmental consultant from the project inception phase and have worked on this project through to delivery. Our team identified key environmental issues, developed management strategies to avoid or mitigate environmental impacts and obtained relevant environmental approvals.
Multiple environmental investigations have been conducted for the project. These identified a range of issues which required further management, investigation or remediation. Key issues included the investigation of conservation significant flora and fauna, shallow groundwater levels, flooding associated with cyclonic events and contamination [comprising perfluoroalkyl and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS), hydrocarbons, heavy metals and asbestos] associated with a historical fire-fighting training ground.
Key services provided for this project included:
- Opportunities and constraints analysis
- Flora and vegetation survey
- Level 1 fauna assessment and targeted conservation significant species search (Mulgara)
- Preliminary acid sulfate soils assessment
- Groundwater monitoring
- Acoustic assessment
- Environmental assessment reporting and input into subdivision design process
- Contaminated sites assessment (including preliminary site investigation, sampling and analysis plan, detailed site investigation, etc.) and remediation supervision, monitoring and close-out reporting
- Urban water management plan
- Various environmental management plans (e.g. Construction EMP, Asbestos Management Plan) and assisting with preparation of contract specifications
- Groundwater abstraction license application
- Multiple native vegetation clearing applications